C2C Cycle Tour – 142 miles over 4 cycling days in early September 2022
Come with me and ride the classic Sea-to-Sea (C2C) route from Whitehaven to Sunderland in September 2022. We will do it as a ‘moving on’ tour staying in hostels along the way.
The tour will be midweek over 5 days and 4 nights. The plan is to travel up by train to Whitehaven on Monday 5th September, stay over on Monday night, then begin riding from Whitehaven on Tuesday through to finishing in Sunderland on Friday, and then travelling home from there.
The ride takes place in the north of the Lake District and the Durham Pennines over a distance of 142 miles.
If you feel like a strong hard challenge then this tour will do that and then more ! It is challenging but definitely achievable if you are prepared for it and have buillt up your fitness and stamina leading up to this tour. These hills will test your motivation, fitness and stamina.
The roads and trails are good, with most of the ride along low or traffic free roads/cycle ways, but not off-road tracks.
The accommodation being recommended is hostels on the C2C route. All riders will need to book and pay for their own accommodation. The accommodation price for all 4 nights stay B&B, should not be more than £200 PP for the four nights. The price can be cheaper, as the price in one hostel has a range from £55.25 for a single room to £61.35 for the room two sharing, 4 sharing giving a further reduction. Some of the hostels also have 6 bed male and female dormitories that can be booked to reduce price even further. All of this can be worked out when numbers are known. Hostel names and phone numbers will be provided. However, if you prefer to book higher rated accommodation then you can do so and we can agree a meet-up place and time on each of the days.
I am intending to travel by train to Whitehaven with my bike and return from Sunderland by train. This is an extra cost and you need to book in advance for your seat and bike. Again, all of this can be discussed at a later date when numbers are known.
The rides will be midweek over 5 days and 4 nights. Travel up by train on Monday and staying over on Monday night. Riding from Tuesday and complete the ride on Friday and travel home.
- First day, travel to Whitehaven. Monday, travel to Whitehaven. Meet at Whitehaven railway station, cycle to C2C start, dip back wheel into Irish Sea. Ride on to first night stop just on the outskirts of Whitehaven at Hensingham.
- Ride Day 01 Whitehaven to Keswick. Tuesday, 32mile ride. After breakfast, start at 09:30. Follow route out to Lake District National Park, coffee around 11:00 then on to Keswick. Short ride with time to enjoy Keswick and the surrounding lake district, have a relaxing lunch and dinner. Book in to the second night stop.
- Ride Day 02 – Keswick to Alston. Wednesday, 47mile ride. After breakfast, start at 09:30. This will be a hard day. Follow route out of Keswick riding out of the Lake District. Coffee around 11:00 at Greystoke Cyclist café, then off to climbing in the Pennines, over Hartside 600-meter climb, stopping at cafe on the top for lunch and to enjoy the great views back to the Lake District. Then on to Alston, third night stop. Dinner in local pub.
- Ride Day 03 Alston to Edmundbyers. Thursday, 33mile ride. After breakfast, start at 09:30 following route over some of the big hills with climbs of 20%. Coffee around 11:00, then follow route on to Stanhope for lunch and a chance to look around before we follow route out of Stanhope and on to Edmundbyers. Fourth night stop. Again dinner in local pub.
- Ride Day 04 Edmundbyers to Sunderland. Friday, 30mile ride. After breakfast, start at 09:00 ride back to route. Stop for coffee at Stanley 10:30. Mostly downhill from here into Sunderland and on to the North Sea coast. Finish tour by dipping front wheel in North Sea and lunch on the promenade. Then home.
If this tour appeals to you, please contact me by email email@example.com