This club is located in the village of Stockton and its name is nothing to do with Admiral Lord Nelson of Trafalgar fame rather it shows a link to the exploitation of the Blue Lias clay, as talked about in the earlier Feature.
Stockton has long been associated with the manufacture of lime and cement. As early as the 1850s workings in the area were extensive and the quarries in Stockton were among the first to be dug. By the early 20th century, Messrs Charles Nelson and Co Ltd operated a large cement works half-a-mile north of the village which was closed and demolished in 1949. The extensive quarries remain and are known locally as the ‘cally pits’
The Club was established by the Quarry owners.