In 1921 a Coventry section of the Cyclists’ Touring Club’s Birmingham District Association was formed. In 1936, Coventry and the CTC sections in eastern Warwickshire (Nuneaton, Rugby and Leamington) split from the Birmingham District Association to form sections of the Coventry and East Warwickshire District Association. This organisation continued after local government created the West Midlands council in 1972.
In October 2010 the Coventry and East Warwickshire District Association dissolved itself, with CTC Coventry and CTC Nuneaton becoming independent member groups of the Cyclists’ Touring Club. Rugby members were allocated to an informal member group attached to CTC Nuneaton. The Leamington group had folded some years before.
In 2016, the Cyclists’ Touring Club re-branded itself to become Cycling UK. In October 2016 CTC Rugby became attached to CTC Coventry.
Some highlights recalled by Dave Hearn
1982 – Coventry section held a 24 hour ride with six riders completing the 250 miles in 24 hours (to be more accurate it was 260 miles in 23 and a half hours. The event then became 400 kilometres in 24 hours following metrication
1984 – Coventry and East Warwickshire DA elected what was thought to be the youngest ever president
1986 – We organised the annual ‘Birthday Rides’ with about 1000 cyclists staying at Warwick University for a week
1989 – A group of 15 riders from Coventry became the largest group to ride to Cape Wrath in that calendar year
We have a number of items of information related to the clubs history –